Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Not your grandmom's quilt

Quilting. Isn't that for grandmoms? At least that's what I thought, until I saw this.





















And then this.




































And this.




















Seeing these beautiful quilts with their whimsy, texture and fabulousness inspired me to tackle my first quilt about five months ago. It was a daunting task that required a lot of googling, alcohol and stitches but it all came together in the end. For your reference, the first quilt is pictured below: "Eat, play, sleep."

In addition to the links provided above, here are some nuggets of advice I've collected about quilting (mostly through my own mistakes):

1. Wash your fabric before sewing.
2. For beginners, when given the option of spray adhesive or pins, choose spray.
3. In basting your quilt make sure the back of the quilt is about an 2 " larger than the filling and the filling about 1" larger than the front.
4. Use caution when cutting out letters. The "e" in the eat, play, sleep quilt landed me in urgent care with five stitches to reattach my fingertip.
5. Painters tape works great if you're doing diagonal or straight quilting.
6. A useful video for teaching a beginner to attach bias tape.

*Here are some of my babies.





















































No comments:

Post a Comment