Sunday, August 7, 2011
We found a dresser at a consignment shop for 60 dollars. All it took was a little white paint and some hammered gray spray paint for the handles and we had new dresser for our bedroom. Take a look.
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Step 2. I removed the old painting and attached the wood to the back with woodglue and very small nails.
Step 3. I attached some old spoons that I had with some screws for handles
Tuesday, July 5, 2011
Step 1. I cut some 1x3's into 16 inch pieces and cut them at 45 degrees at the ends. I attached all 4 pieces together with a staple gun. The frames aren't holding a lot of weight so the staples will hold. I used about 5 on each side and hammer them in to make sure they are tight.
Step 2. The next step was cutting the Wainscoting. Just used a jigsaw to cut them to 16" X 16".
Step 3. I attached the wainscoting to the frame with wood glue.
Step 5. After all the cutting was done I sprayed everything with a satin white can of paint.
Step 6. I attached the frames to the back of the wainscoting with some wood glue.
Friday, July 1, 2011
The first step was to build a frame to hold the doors. I used some 1 X 3's to frame it out.
After the frame was built, I cut the cabinet doors to fit. I attached them and added a 1 X 6 on the top and a 1X 4 on the bottom.
Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Thursday, June 23, 2011
Remember the entertainment center we turned into a wine cabinet? Well, we also made two other projects using the adjacent sides to the center cabinet.
For this project, we created a reading nook for our seven year old, Ava.
I wish we could take all the credit for Ava’s room, but she chose the color palette and fabric for this particular project.
Here’s the side shelf we had to work with.
She chose a fabric that matched the aqua and pink theme in her room perfectly. An extra bonus was the 60 % off sticker price from JoAnn Fabrics.
I worked with Jason to staple the batting and then the fabric to a piece of plywood for the bench. Tip: Use the tush test to help decide how much batting to use.
Alcohol Consumed: 2 Miller Lites (one for Jason, one for me)
Assistance: Yes, Ava!
Friday, June 17, 2011
I have been searching high and low for a chandelier to go into our bedroom. We wanted to replace the old ceiling fan with something a little more eye catching.
I found THE CHANDELIER in a small thrift store nearby. As you can see from the photos, it wasn't in the best condition but it did have potential. At $35, it was impossible to pass by.
Step 1. The first thing I did was removed everything I could. I took off each light holder and removed all the old wiring.
Step 2. The CLEANING. This was the worst step by far. I used Windex and a microfiber rag to scrub each glass piece one by one.
Step 3. Used sand paper to rough up eveything I needed to paint. We decided to go with white, so I used Polar Bear White paint and a small brush to carefully paint everything.
Step 4. After the paint was dry, I added new white lamp wiring from Home Depot. Attaching the wire was a little tricky because the original had metal wiring. I decided to go with plastic zip ties. The zip ties worked great to hold the wire to the metal frame while I connected everything. Finally, I finished the chandeleir with new socket covers.
Step 5. Removed the old ceiling fan!
This project was well worth the work. Now the only problem is that our daughter wants one in her room too. Final photos are below. If you have any questions or want to take on a chandeleir project of your own please let me know if you need any tips, or have any ideas on how to make the project quicker.
Wednesday, June 15, 2011
Roughly nine months ago, I discovered this pool of talent in the blogosphere. Bloggers like Sarah, Amanda, Melissa, and Lindsay who showcased their creations, and were kind enough to post tutorials.
Burlap seemed to be all the rage among the craft bloggers back in the fall. I dreamed of a wreath trimmed in burlap and fall ornaments, or a wall hanging with our family’s initials. Then, I came across Lindsay’s tutorial for a burlap table runner to drape over our brand-spanking new Amish-built farmhouse table. I was immediately smitten, and just knew: I HAD TO MAKE THAT RUNNER!
I have absolutely no experience sewing, which was blatantly apparent to the woman selling the machines at JoAnn Fabric the day I went in to ask questions. She said “foot” I thought “pedal,” she said “bobbin” I though “thimble” – if there were ever a sign that I should quit, it was then. Rather than face scorn from the community I was so eager to join, I figured I could buy the machine online where I could enjoy anonymity and a salesperson who wouldn’t scoff at my poor sewing vernacular.
I’ve included a photo below of our 8ft burlap table runner. In hindsight, burlap isn’t an ideal material for a sewing virgin to work with, but I was committed. When you look closely, you’ll notice the runner does not follow a straight path, it balloons in some areas and concaves in others, but I made it and I love it for all of it’s flaws, not in spite of them (sort of like our first child).
Project Difficulty: If you can sew a straight line, you’re golden.
Alcohol Consumed: Two beers
Assistance: My mom
*Would love to hear about your firsts (if you can remember back that far)!
Friday, June 10, 2011
Repurposing an old entertainment center
Linking to A Diamond In the Stuff's Party"